zondag 17 januari 2010

Important webhosting issues

I started noticing more traffic on my sites. This ultimately led to decreased performance in my hosting account with DreamHost. This increased my anxiety and concerns so I decided to run some tests online such as route tracing and ping. This was also done in a bid to ascertain if DreamHost had a problem with their network or perhaps it was due to overloading their server. The tests were positive and at least that indicated that their network was not clogged up. Nonetheless, I still noticed problems.

Perhaps the servers in particular were down or maybe the database on their side was experiencing overload. I sent numerous emails to their support team and the time it took to get their reply really pissed me off. You can imagine receiving just one reply after so many days. The email claimed that everything was fine at their side of the server. Something was wrong somewhere and I need to find the truth because my visitors had begun complaining.

The difference in HostGator

It then dawned on me that I should search for a different host. Yet, the issue of which host to trust amongst the numerous ones out there was a big problem for me. I had come across HostGator online and I noticed that their customer base was pretty big. I search Google for comment, complaints or issues posted by HostGator's customers but found none.

Their fee was just above average. So I emailed the sales department and they replied me quickly. Their performance was the last hurdle to scale. I have to set up a real website on their server to ascertain this. So I had to try them out at last. The forms were short and simple. I completed everything on their homepage and my new account was set up in a couple of minutes.

The next thing I did was upload a site to the account and I saw signs of improvement. I finally created sub-domains and did a virtual host. Everything went smoothly. In such a short period of time, I had domains that were live and functional on HostGator. The pages were even loading faster.

To sum it up, I am still with DreamHost and one thing I know is that they have an overloaded server. Although they are quite simple to use, their performance does not speak well of them.

When compared to HostGator - which also had simple interfaces - I noticed that it was faster and their servers were functional and not overloaded.

article link - article link - article link - article link - article link - article link - article link - article link - article link - article link - article link - article link - article link - article link - article link - article link - article link - article link - article link - article link - article link - article link - article link - article link - article link - article link - article link - article link - article link - article link - article link - article link - article link - article link - article link - article link - article link - article link - article link - article link - article link - article link - article link - article link - article link - article link - article link - article link - article link - article link - article link

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten